Sunday, October 25, 2009

Roasted Chicken and Sweet Potatoes

This recipe was emailed to be by mom of twins Alyson. Enjoy!

I'm a big fan of roasting using a remote thermometer such as this one: http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/sku5710116/?pkey=x|4|1||4|thermometer||0&cm_src=SCH). This recipe requires minimal assembling and, once it's in the oven, you can ignore it until the thermometer beeps. I've tried it with boneless chicken breasts. It's quicker, but not as tasty.

* Ingredients:
* 4 bone-in chicken breast halves (you can also use chicken thighs, legs, etc. weighing about 3-4 lbs.)
* 1 yellow onion, cut into wedges
* 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 1 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
* 3 tablespoons maple syrup (The real stuff, please! Honey probably would work well, too.)
* 6 sprigs fresh thyme


Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2) Put the chicken, onion and sweet potatoes in a 9x13 baking dish, add the olive oil, salt and pepper and toss. Drizzle with maple syrup and thyme.
3) Roast until the internal temperature of the chicken is 170 degrees. (If you only have an instant-read thermometer, check after 45 minutes.) I usually remove the chicken pieces and let them rest while continuing to cook the vegetables. If there is a lot of liquid in the pan, you may want to drain some off before continuing to cook the vegetables (helps browning).

1 comment:

  1. I recently made this dish and it was delicious. I do not have a remote thermometer and really need to buy one. I used bone-in breast which were pretty big so it took 60 mins for chicken to cook on 400 and after 1 hour 15 minutes some potatoes were still a bit hard, but i think i cute them too big.

    I added white potatoes as well to make my husband happy.

    I served with applesauce to make sure kids ate it up.

    Thanks for sharing. I will cook it again.

    ReplyDelete