Monday, December 14, 2009

Peppermint Meltaways

So, I got a KitchenAid stand mixer for my birthday. I know, how lucky am I? In the instruction manual/cookbook that came with it, there is a recipe for no-cook mints that sounded good to me. I made a few changes (notably, adding chocolate. I mean, come on! These were screaming out for chocolate!), so here it is with my changes:




Ingredients:
3 oz cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 teaspoon mint extract
2 drops food coloring (optional)
Approximately 4 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup chocolate chips

Directions:

Place cream cheese, mint, and food coloring of your choice in the mixer bowl. With paddle mixture, beat on speed 2 until smooth, about 1 minute. Gradually add the powdered sugar, beating on speed 2 after each addition until combined. Keep adding sugar until the dough is VERY stiff. I think I added a little too much sugar as after my last addition, the dough didn't come together...it looked kind of like dippin' dots. It still worked okay, but be careful as you get near the end of your 4 cups. It may take a little more than 4 cups...the original recipe called for 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 cups. I used 4 1/4 cups, and it was the last addition of about 1/2 cup that sent my dough over the edge so I'm guessing 4 cups would have been perfect.

Form dough into small balls (I used about a rounded teaspoonful of dough for each mint), flatten slightly, then press with the back of a fork if desired.

Place mints on a cooling rack.

Place chocolate chips in a medium sized microwave safe bowl. Microwave 20 seconds, then stir well. Continue microwaving in 20 second increments, stirring well after each 20 seconds. Remove from the microwave when the majority of the chips are fully melted...keep stirring until the remaining chips melt (if they don't all melt, return to the microwave for 10 seconds, and try again to stir them all in). Using a rubber spatula, transfer the melted chocolate to a plastic sandwich bag. Cut a very small amount off one bottom corner of the bag. Pipe the chocolate out through the hole on to the cookies.

Store the mints tightly covered in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment